Phantom's Voice

In 1993 I had a prophetic dream. A handsome, 6 year old adult African Gray Parrot was suspended in a void in front of me. He began communicating telepathically, telling me that he would come to me through my friend Mary Jo. He said my name is Phantom and I will be a great teacher to you. One year later, I was ready to bring a baby African Gray Parrot into my life. My friend Mary Jo's pair of Grays had a clutch of eggs hatch in the spring. One of the three would become my companion. What followed changed my life in profoundly unexpected ways.

Phantom announces himself

Phantom announces himself
phantom at 6 months

About Me

My photo
I began volunteering at a wildlife education center many years ago and it changed my life. I discovered the joy of working with birds of prey and teaching about the natural world. During that time I was introduced to a few parrots, and within a year the first African Gray parrot came to live with me.For over 20 years I have been a bird behavior consultant, working primarily with parrots and their companion humans. I continued to volunteer my time at Wind Over Wings, a raptor rehab and education center in CT. I have been an attuned Reiki practitioner since 1986, and have given treatments to people and animals. I currently offer behavioral support for all species of animals through a process I call Animal Dialogues. I make unusual sculptural dream catchers,and hope to start playing a musical instrument in 2012.

Monday, May 14, 2012

Today Would Be Phantom's Eighteenth Birthday

Today would be Phantom's 18th birthday. His brother Pippin will be 20 in a few days. Buzzy, the other African Gray who lives with me is a mystery. He was wild caught and imported at some unknown date prior to 1988. He could be as young as 25 or who knows how old. When he came to live with me he was a wild parrot, seemingly uninterested in much human contact. As inexperienced as I was at the time, I went to a questionable pet store to find an affordable parrot. I was not yet aware that efforts to breed parrots here in the US were supplanting the terrible practice of trapping birds in the wild, and then exposing them to the possibly life threatening process of shipping and quarantine after importation. I had wanted an African Gray companion after spending a month caring for an acquaintance's parrot, Pogo. I had a limited budget to match my limited experience. Two Grays were on consignment in the pet store with the largest selection of affordable parrots I had found to date. There was a small handsome Gray in an ancient cage with one toy. An old enameled bell, hanging on a metal chain, was the only plaything in the cage. I was told this was a female bird. She and her mate had been set up for breeding by her owner. Allegedly a child in the family had opened the door and the male had escaped. The family decided to cut their losses and try to sell this untamed single bird as a pet. The gray let out a constant low growl when people neared the cage. Despite her warning to keep some distance between us, something about this bird reached me. I had a feeling that together we could learn to develop a friendship. I did not see her wildness as a drawback - it was an opportunity for both of us. I could offer a caring home to a bird with questionable pet-quality, and she could teach me how to reach her with trust and patience. Little did I suspect the path this small bird would draw me toward. She had already begun to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment